The resumed Fifth Session of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA-5) takes place on a hybrid format in Nairobi on 28 February – 2 March 2022. The overall theme for UNEA-5 is “Strengthening Actions for Nature to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals”.
In light of the restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was decided that the fifth session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-5) should take place in a two-step approach:
The first session of UNEA-5.1 was held online on 22-23 February 2021 with a revised and streamlined agenda that focused on urgent and procedural decisions.
Substantive matters that require in-depth negotiations will be deferred to UNEA 5.2, 28 February – 2 March 2022.
MGS in UNEA-5.1
- Click here to read the outcomes of UNEA-5.1.
- Online Global Major Groups and Stakeholder Forum (GMGSF) prior to UNEA 5.1
Date: 9-11 February 2021, online
Organized by: Major Groups and Stakeholders (MGS)Accredited to UNEP, under the lead of the Major Groups Facilitating Committee (MGFC)
What: Consultations of Major Groups and Stakeholders (MGS) prior to the Open-Ended Meeting of the Committee of Permanent Representatives to UNEP (OECPR, February 15-16, 2021, might be extended) and the first session of UNEA 5 (February 22-23, 2021), covering the following themes:
UNEP Mid-Term Strategy
UNEP Program of Work
UNEP @ 50
Stockholm + 50
Main messages from MGS to UNEA
MGS in OECPR and UNEA 5.1
Statements by Major Groups and Stakeholders to the OECPR and UNEA-5.1 February 2021 here
Youth Environment Assembly (YEA)
Global Youth Environment Assembly is the official youth forum toward the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and UN Environment Assembly (UNEA). The first YEA of 2021 will take place on 12, 13 and 18, 19, 20 February in lead the up to UNEA 5.1.
The Assembly will comprise sessions on variety of environmental topics, interactive segments, regional and thematic breakouts, dedicated plenary sessions and a high-level segments featuring dialogues between environment ministers and youth.
MGS in UNEA 5.2
- Online Major Groups and Stakeholders (MGS) International Consultation. 7-9 September 2021. Read more, please visit this link.
- Regional Consultative Meetings (RCM) in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbeans, North America, and West Asia. September – November 2021. Read more, please visit this link
- Online Global Major Groups and Stakeholders Forum (GMGSF). 7-10 February 2022. For more information, please visit this link.
- 5th Open-Ended Committee of Permanent Representatives (OECPR), 16 February 2022.
H.E. Mr. Fernando Estellita Lins de Salvo Coimbra, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Brazil;
Read More >>
- Faith-based organizations activities towards UNEA 5.2
UNEP Faith for Earth will be running a series of online dialogue sessions during the period 21 February – 4 March 2022 with around 24 sessions with a focus on faith-based engagement. Each session will be for 90 minutes and will engage several speakers. These will cover different topics and ongoing activities ranging from meaning engagement at UNEA to food systems, ecosystem restoration, sustainable cities, and others, and will serve as opportunities for faith actors to engage in dialogue with diverse stakeholders and enhance their contributions to Agenda 30 and the work of UN Environment Programme. For further information about a session, please contact Euan McCartney (email@example.com).